For our Wardrobe Wiz project we will continue our discussion on how to save Outfits by combining different components, how to display the list of Outfits for the user to pick, and how to show a selected Outfit.
Here is the step-by-step for one working solution. You can think of plenty of enhancements and add features too!
App Inventor – Project Iteration 3
On Friday, we are excited to welcome Amanda Lannert, CEO of Jellyvision, as our last web chat of the 2016-17 school year. Our web chat series this year has given the girls of FVGCC great insight into everything from being a current computer science student at DePaul University to possibilities of careers in cyber security or starting their own tech start up. We can not wait to talk with Ms. Lannert about her path to Jellyvision and what skills and characteristics she believes led to her receiving recent Moxie Awards for both CEO of the Year and Top Woman in Tech! Looking forward to a great conversation.
After our web chat at 5:30, we will continue our mobile programming work. Hard to believe, but this is the last meeting where we will be working in depth on our coding project. Next week, we wrap up the school year meetings with a Taco Bar send off party for our Senior members and will plan and brainstorm for our 2017-18 school year.
At the end of May, FVGCC will be participating in our first Hack-a-thon event through Chicago Hacks. Stay tuned for updates on the project we decide to complete at the event and how we survive 24 hours straight of coding and community!
See you Friday at 5:30 p.m. at 25N Coworking in the boardroom.
We are contemplating going to Chicago Hacks. Please look over the info at the link and we plan to talk about going during our next meeting! We need an idea – but NO CODING before the event!!
We will meet in the boardroom in 25 N at 5:45 pm on March 17th, 2017.
We will be continuing with MIT App Inventor 2. If you don’t already have an account – go ahead and make one!
If you have an Android phone or tablet (even old ones), please bring them to class. App Inventor will not work with iOS devices – although we will talk about them!
We will continue working on our Wardrobe app! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
We will be meeting at 25N tonight.
- This week we will break up into two groups
- Group 1: Continuation of Java, NetBeans, and Sub Domain set up
- What is GitHub, why is it super popular and an extremely important part of open source software development?
- We will review how the snake game is played – what are the rules?
- We will take a tour of the high level pieces of the snake game. There is a css file, and html file and a js file. We will talk about how HTML is the ‘skeleton’, JS are the ‘muscles’ and the CSS is the ‘skin’.
- We will figure out how to unzip the code in our NetBeans default projects and get it to run in our sub domains
- We will see if we can change little things – the page title, the background color, the speed of the game – where would those things be? HTML, CSS or JS?
- If we still have time, they can continue to tinker and customize our copy of the snake game, then play on their phones or invite their friends to play.
- We can also talk about how if we find really great ways to modify the game, we can send the original author a pull request which asks him/her to take a look at (pull) our copy of the code to see if he/she would consider including it in the public build.
Fox Valley Girls Coding Club will be holding the first meeting of the 2016-17 school year on Friday, October 14 at 25N Coworking in Geneva from 5:45 p.m.-7:45 p.m. We are open to all girls, ages 14-18. Please join us and bring a friend!
Announcing: The First Annual Fox Valley Girls Coding Club Summer Hack-A-Thon and Planning Session!
Where: Fox.Build in St. Charles on S. Second St near Rte 64
When: June 25, 2016 – 9:30am-4pm
Why: Finish up our work with the Geneva Film Festival Website and brainstorm great projects for next year!
Want to learn more about FVGCC? Have feedback or input? Stop by and chat!
We will meet in the board room at 25N
- Review and finalize our Branding including our logo
- Crowdfunding: design our Crowdfunding presence, incorporating branding
- Facebook: design our Facebook presence
- Film Society Web site:
- Review high-level list of remaining tasks
- Determine next steps
- PHP and Database: review the code so far and start on enhancements