Hey! Is everyone sick of the pool and ready to do a little summer coding!?!?
I was recently just working my way through the main React Native tutorial found here:
…and I thought I would push my little app up to GitHub and share it with you girls to see if you want to work with React Native during the upcoming year or perhaps at an upcoming event… ahem… overnight event… er… in July… in CHICAGO… ? I think you know what I am talking about!
Here is my repo – but you don’t have to fork it or even clone it, but you can if you want to. Alternatively, you can just do the tutorial. My repo is loosely based on the tutorial and you can do the same! 🙂 If you get stuck, ping me in Slack!
For the IDE, I was using VSCode, which is free and you can use it on a Mac or PC. You can download it here:
It has a built in terminal panel to do your npm commands. Go to View > Integrated Terminal to open it.
High School girls are eligible to apply for the NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing. This prestigious award comes with recognition, prizes, potential internship connections and other networking opportunities. Girls in grades 9-12 can apply online at NCWIT Aspirations
Applications are due by November 6, 2017!!
For the month of April, Fox Valley Girls Coding Club will be designing their own fidget toys!
Just follow these steps:
- Open a free account at https://www.tinkercad.com/
- Maybe take a look at thingiverse to get some inspiration: http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=fidget+toys&sa=
- Decide if you want to incorporate skateboard bearings
- I have two sizes: 2cm and 4cm in diameter
- Design you OWN!
- Start from scratch on Tinkercad
- or you can download an stl file from Thingiverse and import it to Tinkercad
- Publish you design on Tinkercad
- Post a link to your design to this blog post along with the color you would like
- Robin Prints it and will bring it to the next meeting!!
- We will post some images when we get them printed