We will be meeting at 25N tonight.
- This week we will break up into two groups
- Group 1: Continuation of Java, NetBeans, and Sub Domain set up
- What is GitHub, why is it super popular and an extremely important part of open source software development?
- We will review how the snake game is played – what are the rules?
- We will take a tour of the high level pieces of the snake game. There is a css file, and html file and a js file. We will talk about how HTML is the ‘skeleton’, JS are the ‘muscles’ and the CSS is the ‘skin’.
- We will figure out how to unzip the code in our NetBeans default projects and get it to run in our sub domains
- We will see if we can change little things – the page title, the background color, the speed of the game – where would those things be? HTML, CSS or JS?
- If we still have time, they can continue to tinker and customize our copy of the snake game, then play on their phones or invite their friends to play.
- We can also talk about how if we find really great ways to modify the game, we can send the original author a pull request which asks him/her to take a look at (pull) our copy of the code to see if he/she would consider including it in the public build.
- Check out the Snake Game in action http://patorjk.com/games/snake/